The EU-RL, an essential component of the GMO management of the EU,
is based on EU-GMO legislation.
- Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 on GM food and feed, officially establishes the EU-RL and defines its tasks.
- Regulation (EC) No 882/2004 on official controls performed to ensure the verification of compliance with feed and food law, animal health and animal welfare rules, defines the tasks of the EU-RL in relation to harmonising GMO-control throughout the Member States of the EU.
- Regulation (EC) No 1981/2006 as regards the Community reference laboratory for genetically modified organisms, establishes a network of national reference laboratories that support the EU-RL with regard to method validation.
- Regulation (EU) No 619/2011 laying down the methods of sampling and analysis for the official control of feed as regards presence of genetically modified material for which an authorisation procedure is pending or the authorisation of which has expired, makes a validated detection method a pre-condition for low level presence of elsewhere authorised GMO in feed.
Other relevant legal acts
- Directive 2001/18 on the deliberate release into the environment of genetically modified organisms and repealing Council Directive 90/220/EEC.